Tuesday, June 20, 2006

What a sweet ride

OCR3When I got home yesterday after work, I found my sponsorship check for the new bike.  It didn't take long for me to get inside and house and ask who wanted to go bike shopping.  After patiently waiting my time in the busy bike shop, I finally got to meet the manager of the store, a wonderful lady I have had numerous telephone conversations with over the past month or so.

Without going into all the details, the purchase of the bike and vehicle rack was finalized.  I told Renee I wanted to ride home instead of mounting the bike rack (gotta play with the new ‘toy’!).  After getting the bike initially adjusted for me (seat height and angle, handlebar placement, etc), I enjoyed a very nice ride home.  It took me a very short time to get comfortable with the new shifting method, but then it was smooth sailing all the way home.

Red-lightLater that evening (and with the permission of Renee), I brought the bike into the kitchen for the installation of the “pimp my ride” equipment.  After approximately 20 minutes, my Reelights were installed and functioning as designed.  SchwinnI’m glad the installation was pretty much a no-brainer, because the instructions that came in the packaging didn’t include an english translation.  Next was a Schwinn speedometer, which tracks current speed, average speed, total milage, trip mileage, total trip time as well as an indicator to show if my current speed is above or below the overall average speed.  The part that took the longest for that was the wrapping of the four feet of wire between the sensor and display unit around the brake lines.  LockBeing that there is only 18” of physical distance between the two items, there was almost 2.5 feet of excess wire to be secured.  Last, but not least, was the mounting of a Kryptonite lock bracket on the seat post.  Being that I finally have an XL bike frame, I don’t have as much of a seat post visable as I have had on previous smaller bikes.  This made the positioning a little less cosmetically-pleasing than I would like, so that may be adjusted in the near future.

I will spend the next few days getting complete accustomed to the new bike and be very prepared for the long rides, which are now less than two weeks away!
share on: facebook

No comments: