Thursday, June 08, 2006

Have you got an ICE?

I was talking with a buddy the other day and somehow we got on the topic of emergency contact notifications. During the conversation I mentioned that I had both an ICE1 and ICE2 in my phone address list, one being my wife and two being my mother. He instantly had a 'deer in headlights' look on his face and asked what I meant by having an ICE in my contact list. After the explaination, he thought it was a good idea and decided to do the same in his phone.

If you aren't aware, ICE stands for In Case of Emergency. If an emergency service worker (police, fire, ambulance, etc) is called to a situation which involves an unconscious victim, one of the methods of identification is to look for a cell phone and attempt to locate an ICE in the address list. If one is found, they can call that number, describe the patient to the person answering and be able to inquire about existing medical conditions, etc.

In my address book, I have the entries input as:
     ICE1 - Wife (Renee)
     ICE2 - Mother (Bev)
I decided to use the numbering system, to indicate the need to call Renee prior to my mom.

If you don't have an ICE in your contact list, you might think about putting one or two in there. It is a pretty cool idea (did I really just type that?)
share on: facebook

No comments: