Friday, February 10, 2006

20 years ago today...

... I started working for the State of Oklahoma. When I hired on, the retirement program worked on what is refered to as the "80 plan". The way the plan works is adding your age to the number of years of service. When that adds up to 80, I get to start receiving a pension. I started when I was 20, so that makes me 40 right now. (several years ago, the plan was changed to the "90 plan", but I was grandfathered in at the 80 level)

If I stay with the state another 10 years, I will be 50 years old with 30 years of service; which equals the magic 80. However, if I leave the state (where, at times, if feels like I am highly under-appreciated) right now, I would have to wait until 60 to get the checks. If I stay, I can 'double dip' at the age of 50 (be drawing the pension from the state, but still be young enough to consult or something). If I leave, I can work toward a pension at another location and draw both down the road.

Either way, there's plenty of work in my future because I'm not investing my hard-earned $$$ in the new Oklahoma Lottery and Ed McMahon has no idea where I live (even though I have invited him over for tea several times in the past)
share on: facebook

No comments: