Monday, December 11, 2006

How to get out of a Speeding Ticket

The best way:  Don't Speed!

 

But if you do speed and get caught, here are some suggestions:

#1: As soon as you hear the siren or see the "flashing red & blues", safely pull over, put the car in park, and roll down your window.

#2: Turn on the inside car light (if at night) and place your hands on the "10:00 and 2:00" positions of the wheel, staying still as the officer approaches. (This situation is one of the most dangerous for a police officer, and he or she will appreciate your courtesy of making their job just a bit easier and helping them to feel safer). This is definitely a step in the right direction.

#3: When the officer asks if you realized you were going __ in a __ mile per hour zone, admit it. Don't lie. Don't make excuses.

You might say, "I apologize officer. I didn't realize it until I heard your siren. I looked down, and yes I was going at that speed. I'm absolutely in the wrong." (This right there might get you off the hook, as it will be the most honest and refreshing words that officer has heard all night. Imagine, someone actually taking responsibility for their mistake.)

#4: If you feel you must "make your case", simply say, "Officer, again, I was definitely in the wrong. It's not something I usually do and I'm wondering if, perhaps, I could possibly get off with a warning."

Then, if you believe it necessary, use, what I call, the "Eight Key Words", which are, "If you can't do it, I'll definitely understand."

 

The combination of your politeness, courtesy and words, might help you get, at worst, a written warning and, at best, a verbal warning to "make sure you slow down".


share on: facebook

No comments: