Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Not a political blog, but...

As my faithful readers are aware, I normally don’t make political ‘statements’ in my blog.  However, the below cartoon was sent to me about a month ago and I stored it away in my “blog fodder” file.  Most of the items in this file are of a humorous or personal nature, but some are very serious.  For whatever reason, I have decided to finally post this entry.

First, a little history.  When I was growing up, my father was a military physician and in the early 1970’s we were stationed in Germany.  This was a wonderful opportunity as we were able to travel and see places many people only dream of seeing (or end up using the internet for virtual-visits).  One of the most vivid memories I have is one of visiting a concentration camp memorial site.  While the visuals there have always stayed with me, over the years my memory was that the camp we visited was Auschwitz, probably because it is one of the most famous camps.  While doing research for this entry (sometimes I do more than just copy/paste), I found that Auschwitz is in Poland and I don’t remember us ever visiting there.  However, when scanning through the list of Holocaust Museums, when I saw the word Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site it all came back to me.

While the Virtual Tour offered on the site will never equal an in-person visit, at least the technology we have today will allow more people than would have been able.

Reminder




share on: facebook

No comments: