Sunday, September 10, 2006

On the road again

Being that I haven’t been blogging as much as I used to do, I have failed to share about my bike riding since the trip to Dallas in early July.

The first week after the trip were spend without any riding time, as a chance to take a break. Then, when the 100+ degree heat hit, I decided that biking wasn’t needed for health reasons. The first Sunday in August found me taking a trip to the emergency room as a result of a bad fall and twisted knee at church earlier that day (nothing broken, just messed up tendons and ligaments). Due to the fall, I was cautioned not to wear my prosthetic leg for 7–10 days. Luckily the church had a wheelchair I could borrow for that time period.

A few weeks after I was back on my feet (excuse the pun), I was asked if I could assist the church softball team so they would have enough players to field the game. Yep, the first week of the month I was in a wheelchair and the end of the month saw me playing softball!

This week I decided to start riding my bike to work again. The first day back on the bike, I would have sworn that the campus had been a few miles further away from my house than it had been in June (the fact I took off riding at sprint speed probably didn’t help any!).

This weekend I decided to see how some distance riding felt. Yesterday morning’s ride was a short one of about 14 miles and this evening’s was longer at 32.5 miles. Both rides felt really good, especially considering the fact the miles were true road miles, instead of laps around Boomer Lake.

I plan to continue riding to work each day, unless I have to wear some really nice clothes (slacks and tie) or if the day looks to include rain in the forecast.
share on: facebook

No comments: