Monday, March 07, 2005

Thank goodness for the 'hands free' crutch

An early birthday present from my mom last year (before I went to Mexico for a short term missions trip) was a hands-free crutch. What, you may ask, is a hands-free crutch? It is something I wish I had the brains to invent a long time ago. A guy in Canada had an ankle injury several years ago, and got extremely tired of not being able to use his hands while walking around with crutches. He fashioned a 'crutch' that straps to your thigh, and has a shelf to put your knee on. This way, the wearer is able to walk around like normal, and have both hands free to carry items as needed.

Yesterday was one of those days when I needed this product very badly. On Saturday, I was over at a friend's house and the dads and kids were outside playing. I spent a little too much time on my leg, without the proper amount of sock-pys in my prosthetic leg (too hard to explain) .... which caused some extended discomfort. When I did put some sock-plys on, I think one (or two) may have been folded/creased, which I didn't notice, since I was already hurting. When I woke up yesterday and put on the leg, I stood up to put pressure on it like normal. The muscles immediately flared up with extreme pain, and I sat back down very quickly. Needless to say, I decided to let my prosthetic leg have the day off, and put the hands-free crutch into service.

The rest of the day went fine, even when we stripped the acoustic ceiling (more commonly referred to as 'popcorn' or 'cottage cheese') texture from the two bathrooms .... with the rest of the house to follow.
share on: facebook

No comments: