If you are not from Oklahoma, or never visited Oklahoma during stormy-weather seasons, this post really won't mean anything to you. However, if you are from around here, you will understand the humor behind the Gary England Drinking Game.
This isn't an original game invented by yours truly (me), as you can find it online several places like here, here, here & here (the last is my favorite due to the comments added within the game). I will share the game here, and provide a few comments at the end, as to why certain pieces are personal favorites.
GARY ENGLAND DRINKING GAME:
1. Everyone selects a storm chaser other than Val Castor*. Every time Gary talks to your storm chaser, you take one drink. Take two drinks every time we see footage from your storm chaser. Take four drinks if your storm chaser says "tornado on the ground."
2. Everyone selects a county other than Pottawatomie County**. Every time Gary mentions your county, you take one drink. Take two drinks every time we see footage from your county. Take four drinks if a tornado touches down in your county.
1. Take one drink every time Gary says the following:
"Hook echo" | "Updraft" | "Metro" | "Doppler radar" | "Wall cloud" | "Ranger 9" | "Underground" | "Mobile home"
2. When Gary gives a list of counties, take one drink for every county in the list.
3. Take one drink every time Gary interrupts a program.
Take one drink if Gary says "You're not missing any of [program name]."
Take one drink when Gary says "We'll keep you advised."
1. Take two drinks every time Gary says the following:
"Baseball-sized hail" | "Waterloo Road" | "Pottawatomie County" | "Deer Creek High School"
2. Take two drinks every time Gary mentions the following towns:
Altus | Burns Flat | Dill City | Gotebo | Hydro | Lookeba | Meeker | Mulhall | Oktaha | Olustee | Shattuck | Slaughterville | Tryon | Vici | Waukomis | Wayne (or Payne) | Weleetka | Wetumkah
3. Take two drinks every time Gary talks to Val Castor.
1. Take three drinks if we see footage from Val Castor.
2. Take three drinks if we see footage from Pottawatomie County.
3. Take three drinks if Gary mentions the following:
"Immediate tornado precautions" | "National Weather Service" | "Mesocyclone" | "Portable Radio" | "Take shelter" | "Tornado warning in effect until ..."
1. Take four drinks if Ranger 9 must land to refuel.
2. Take four drinks if Gary issues his own tornado warning, not recognized by the NWS or says the following:
"Will someone please answer that phone?" | "Do you see power flashes?"
3. Take four drinks if a shirt-less tornado victim is interviewed.
Finish your drink
1. Finish your drink if someone uses the word tornado as a verb or if Gary mentions the nearest cross streets to you.
2. If Gary says "We've lost Val," pour a little out for your homies and finish your drink.
* Val Castor lives in my hometown. Sarah has been babysitting for him lately when he and his wife go "storm chasing". Yesterday was a long day for them.
** Pottawatomie County is where Renee grew up. They are very used to hearing Gary England mention their county and home-town.
Believe me, if you play this game to its fullest, it is a good thing that one of the safest places to be during a tornado is a bathroom .... as your bladder will be filling quite rapidly!
Personal Note: This drinking game doesn't have to be done with alcoholic beverages, which is very nice for a recovered alcoholic.
share on: facebook